The economic crisis is hitting us all very hard this past year, but some cities have it alot worse off...
I told you Detroit sucks...
Lots of people have heard of Ann Arbor thanks to the University of Michigan, however, not everyone has. Sometimes I just say I’m from the “Detroit area”, which is accurate enough.
People often ask me if Detroit is as bad as it’s portrayed in movies, TV, news, etc. To which I normally say “worse.”
As of now there are over 12,000 abandoned homes in Detroit. The city is hemorrhaging money. Here are some sad facts about a once great city.
1. It’s the only city in the history of the United States to hit a population of over 1,000,000 residents and then subsequently fall back under that number.
2. The city has lost more than half of its population since the 1950’s.
3. Over 30% of the city’s population lives below the poverty line.
4. Over 36 square miles (58 square kilometers) of land sits vacant, which is roughly the size of the city of San Francisco.
5. The city tears down between 1,500 and 2,000 homes a year, which only keeps pace with the problem and doesn’t cut into the backlog of the 12,000 abandoned homes.
Things are getting so bad that people are moving their deceased loved ones’ bodies out of the city into other cemeteries.“Suburbanites are taking the bodies of their relatives out of cemeteries because they’re afraid to come to the city,” Vogel said. “There are about 400 to 500 hundred (being moved) a year which shows you the depth of racism and fear.” You know your city sucks when even the dead people are leaving.